In these first (2) photos you can see what the counter balanced crankshaft looks like in the Ingersoll Sergeant.
Photo #3 shows the name cast into the side of the base. Photo #4 is of the beautiful brass tag for the Ingersoll
Starting to work on the 2 HP Cook cylinder. Photo #1 shows getting the cylinder mounted to the Lucas HBM table
securely. Photo #2 shows the back end of the cylinder all cleaned up and ready for indicating / setup...
In these photo here I started to make a brass bushing to be used when indicating job on the Lucas with an
Albrecht keyless chuck...
Here in this photo you can see the Albrecht keyless chuck mounted to the quick change tooling. This will
really help in the future when setting things up...
Photo #1 shows indicating the back of the 2 HP Cook cylinder. Photo #2 shows tramming the inside of the
bore. This is done repeatedly in all (4) quadrants of the bore, (every 90 degs.). Photo #3 shows using
a coaxial indicator to get the HBM machine spindle on center with the bore. Photo #4 shows some rework
that had to be done to the 3" diameter cutting head so the entire bore of the cylinder could be machined.
The Cook is a headless engine and the cutting head needs to be able to butt right up to the shoulder at
the head end...
These (4) photos show what the crankshaft and one flywheel look like assembled on the Ingersoll Sergeant
engine project of Stiles Bradley. Can't wait to see what those counter weights look like rotating around
when the engine is running...
Well here in these photos you can see the boring taking place on the 2 HP Cook cylinder. Photo #1 shows
the out board bearing support bar in place with the cutting head ready to be bolted to the machine
spindle. Photos #2 & #3 show everything in place, ready to send the cutter through...
Photo #1 shows a lite pass being taken, it's the first pass and proves out all the measuring and
indicating done during the cylinder setup. Photo #2 shows another pass being taken removing about .007
a side. If you look at around 5:00 on the bore you can see the cutting tool...
Well the bore is completed with a total of .052 being removed to true and clean up the new bore up.
Photo #1 shows the new bore. The rub marks you see in the bottom of the bore are from the rubber hose
on the shop vac when cleaning out the iron chips. Photo #2 shows a side view of the new bore and also
that 5 passes were made to complete the bore...
Photo #1 shows honing the Cook cylinder. Photo #2 shows the honed bore. Photo #3 is a close up of the
A friend of mine, Chris Austin came to my shop to work on some parts for a couple of Vertical Gearless Olds
models he is building. The following photos show his accomplishments for a couple of days work. Photo #1
shows setting the first flywheel up in the lathe. Photo #2 shows starting to face and turn the hub. Photo #3
shows the hub rough turned. Photo #4 shows turning the edge of the flywheel...
Photo #1 shows starting to face the OD of the flywheel. Photo #2 shows the OD all turned to size. Photo #3
shows drilling a .500 diameter hole through the hub. Photo #4 shows boring the hole in the hub to finished
Photo #1 shows checking the bore diameter with a telescoping gage. Photo #2 shows flipping the flywheel
over in the lathe and indicating the opposite side to face the second edge and turn the hub. Photo #3 shows
the (4) finished flywheels. Man what a lot of work...
In these next series of photos Chris has started to machine the (2) cylinders. Photo #1 shows the cylinder
in the 3 jaw chuck and the bottom of the cylinder taking shape. Photo #2 shows drilling a .500 diameter
hole through the entire cylinder. Photo #3 shows opening up the hole to a diameter of 1.500...
In the first photo here you can see the cylinder being bored to a 1.750 diameter. Photo #2 shows one of the
completed cylinders. Chris put a lot of time in machining up these parts. Nice work Chris. You can see some
of the other work Chris has done on the Olds models at the following link... More
Olds Model Parts Chris has made
on the Antique Gas Engine Forum...
12/08/04 - 12/09/04
I spent sometime working on the pulley design for the 3 phase, 3 HP motor that I am putting on the Hendy
shaper. The pulley will have "V" grooves to work with a compressor serpentine belt. As you can see in the
following (2) photos, the pulley will mount to an existing hub on the motor shaft and be secured with (2)
screws to the hub...
Well the work has started on making the pulley for the shaper. Photo #1 shows a 3.500 diameter piece of
round stock in the lathe. Photo #2 shows the pulley center drilled and one side faced off. Photo #3 &
Photo #4 show drilling a 1.500 diameter hole through the pulley...
The first photo shows boring the ID of the pulley to 1.683. The second photo shows the hole finish bored
and the side faced...
Photo #1 shows what the existing hub looks like on the new pulley. Photo #2 shows the pulley rotated 180
deg. in the lathe chuck and the second side faced to the finished width of .750...