In these next (2) photos you can see how the cooling tower came out that Ron and I
put together. The photos show a nice brass tank that Ron picked up, with it all hooked
up to his little diesel engine. Nice Job Ron...
Here in this next group of photos you can see an oil field engine that Stiles Bradley
aquired and a few of us guys helped him get it out of the pump house. The engine is
a 15 HP OilWell Supply Co., 2 cycle half breed. Stiles spent some time getting the
engine ready to run, and also mounted the engine on a nice skid. The last (2) photos show
the engine all completed. This engine really runs nice and slow and the governor really
does a nice job of regulating the gas...
Below are a few photos of running Stiles Bradley's 18 HP Electric Lighting Buffalo Olin. Stiles invited a
few engine friends over to help him get the Olin going. He had the engine all set up and ready to go. One
of the flywheels was in bad shape so he had another one casted up. You will notice in the photos the Olin
only has one wheel. The new one is out getting machined up. The one flywheel worked out great for running
the engine for the first time because it is electric lighting it is very heavy. After quite a bit of
cranking the engine came to life. It really ran beautiful. When the engine warmed up we started to see
how slow we could run it. It's a throttle governed engine and ran very slow and quiet. After about 2 hours
of running, we shut it down and checked things over to see what needed to be adjusted. What a nice running
These (4) photos are of a barn fresh engine my youngest son picked up. It's an early 1 1/2 HP Fairbanks
Morse Z, hit & miss, headless engine. The engine should have an ignitor, but as you can see from the
photos it was run on a spark plug. Chris has started to clean things up and believe it or not, nothing
is stuck. He had to do a little work on the valves but they are free now. Chris is pretty excited about
his engine project...
These (2) photos are of some work finally getting done on the 60 HP Flickinger Corliss box. I changed the
way I am boring the corliss box by actually locating the boring bar off the ID of the packing gland nuts.
This should result in perfect alignment of the bores for the side shaft. In the first photo I am cutting
a bushing down that I made, to a shorter length. In the second photo you can see the boring bar in action.
Notice how the boring bar doesn't reply on the machine spindle and the outboard support bearing for
alignment. It replies on the packing gland nuts and brass bushings...
A friend of mine from work had an emergency job for a farmer in his area and asked me if I could make a
couple of parts for the hydraulic lift arms of his tractor. On the original part, the 5/8-11 threads on the ID were striped
out and also the bolt threads were striped. In the following photos you can see all the steps taken to
fabricate the (2) parts, from turning the OD, drilling, threading, and cutting them off to length. The
last photo is of the completed parts. Also my son Chris has been doing a little more work on his 1 1/2 HP
Fairbanks Morse engine project, and I have included a photo of that...
Well the first stages of the line boring are done on the Corliss box. The bushings in the packing gland nuts
worked out real well. There was no vibration in the bar and it cut real well. In a few of the photos below
you can see the cutting tool in action. Also in one of the photos you can see how I controled the depth
of the cut. I mounted a dial indicator so it would contact the end of the boring bar. You could say with the
end all closed off by the packing gland nut and bushing, that it is a blind bore. I couldn't see the entire cut.
Also in another one of the photos I had an indicator positioned on the main Corliss housing so I could
monitor the position of the housing and tell if there was any movement in the setup. This might have been
unnecessary but it let me know if there was any movement in the setup. The last (3) photos show the
completed bore on both left and right sides, ready to have some bronze bushings pressed in. Then we'll
bore the bushing ID's to a 1.752 diameter...
These next (4) photos are of a 18 HP Electric Lighting Buffalo Olin that Stiles Bradley and his Grandson
Mathew have just completed. They have her really tuned up nice and running real slow. What beautiful lines
and flywheels this engine has...
On Saturday the 31st of August some of my friends came over to my place and Dave Yorks brought some of the
models he has been collecting with him. We set them up and ran them for a good part of the day. The first
model engine is a Callahan. It's a beautiful side shaft, cam stopper engine that really runs nice. The next
is a model of a New Holland. It's amazing for it's size it really runs nice. The third model we ran is of
a Gray. This model also ran great. What a lot of fun we had runnning the models. Thanks Dave for bringing them
Below are (3) photos of a 6 HP Lister my friend Ron Pole has just finished hooking up to a 7500 watt
generator. See the steam coming off the cooling tank. The last photo shows a 4400 watt load he has put on it
and as you can see in the photos it's making the Lister work pretty good. ..