Also, Be sure to check out the
drawing and explanation for the Bovaird & Seyfang...
Here in this photo I have mounted the slide plate to the latch assembly. The
plate is one of the parts I barrowed and I am getting ready to fabricate
These 3 photos are of the timing gear shaft. In the first photo I have turned
the end down for cutting the 1-8 thread. In the second photo the threads are
cut on the shaft and in the third photo you can see the nut on the shaft...
Next I needed to make a small stepped pin that will go into the timing gear shaft
and act as a key for the cam. In photo #1 I haved turned the pin to size and in
photo #2 you can see it mounted on the timing gear shaft. Photo #3 shows the cam
on the timing gear shaft and how the pin drives it...
This photo shows the cam all mounted on the shaft with the nut...
Nows its time to face 1/4" off one side of the gear and bore the hole out
for pressing the timing gear shaft in...
In photo #1 here the shaft is pressed in and 1/4" taken off this side of the timing
gear now making it 1" thick. Notice the "V" groove turned into the end of the shaft
and gear for welding. Photo #2 shows the shaft and gear all welded with Ni-Rod
(nickle rod). In photo #3, back to the lathe for final facing of the weld. Photo #4
shows the gear, shaft, cam, and nut all assemblied...
Now back to work on the latch and governor assembly. In photo #1 I need to
make one of these latch brackets. Photo #2 shows the brass governor finger
all fixed up and mounted on the governor and latch pin..
Also missing was a thick washer for the back of the governor shaft. Photo#1
shows turning the blank to the proper O.D. for the washer and also facing off
the end. Photo #2 shows cutting off the washer to the proper thickness. Photo
#4 shows the washer installed on the governor shaft...
Getting back to work on the cover plate for the latch slide, I cut it to size
and started drilling all the required holes...
These 2 photos show milling out the features in the cover plate...
This photo shows the cover plate mounted to the main assembly and shazam it
actually fit. Now to start on the latch bracket which you can see in this photo
swung out of postion...
Well here is another surprise. I went out to help a friend pick up a 20 HP
Bovaird & Seyfang single valve engine and guess what extra part he wound
up with, thats right, a latch bracket. Here in this photo you can see the bracket
mounted on the main assembly which I got from him. I can't beleive it. What a
find. I had to clean the part up and put a new latching edge on it...
The skid for the engine is going to be made out of white ash. In this photo you
can see (2) 8 X 8's and (1) 6 X 6. I have made a few skids out of white ash and
it is a pretty nice wood to work with. It is hard and a nice heavy wood to make
a skid out of...
Photo #1 shows the 45 deg. angle cut on the leading edge and also I make another
cut on the very bottom breaking the sharp edge where the skid will come into
contact with the ground. This makes pulling the engine around on the skid a little
easier, and it wont dig up the grass. Photo #2 shows one rail all cut to length and
the ends all finished...
These 2 photos show the wood all cut to size and sitting on either side of the
engine. Now I need to lift the base and assemble the skid under it for transfering
the mounting holes to the skid...
The skid is now all assembled under the base and it came out looking pretty good.
Now comes the fun part of drilling holes and routing pockets on the bottom rails.
These will receive square plates and threaded rod...
Well the main governor latch assembly is now all completed except for painting.
Notice in photo #1 the block that will become the second half of the slide. I
need to drill and tap the 5/8-11 thread in the new half and also drill and tap
the (2) 3/8-16 holes for the mounting bolts. Photo #2 is after the 5/8-11 thread
Now to start drilling the holes that will tie the skid together and mount the
engine base. These 2 photos are of my friend Stiles helping drill the holes in
the main skid rails...
After the holes were drilled we rotated the 8 X 8 beams 180 deg. to do some
routing on the bottom. In this photo you can see the 3 X 3 pockets layed out
around the drilled holes, that will get routed out 1/2" deep. This will be for
the flat plate that I weld to the threaded rod for holding everything
Now to make the tie rods that will hold everything together. Photo #1 shows the
(8) 1/2" X 3 X 3 flat plates I cut using the tourch. They need a little de-burring
and they will be ready for use. Photo #2 shows the set up I used for welding the
plate to the threaded rod. The threaded rod is clamped in the vise. Photo #3 & #4
are of the tie rod after welding. Next I flip the tie rod over and weld the other
This photo shows Stiles routing the pockets on the main skid rails...
These 3 photos are of different stages of assembling the skid. Notice the
tie rods in photo #1. In the next 2 photos you can see what fun it is to
assemble the skid without a over head hoist...
Here it is. The engine base mounted on the skid...