Also, Be sure to check out the
drawing and explanation for the Bovaird & Seyfang...
These 2 plates I had a friend of mine cut out for me on a flame tourch cutting
table. It does a really good job and is pretty acurate too. These 2 plates are
for the valve chest...
The first photo here shows the 3/4" thick plate in the lathe, boring the center
hole to fit over the valve seat guide assembly. In the second photo the ID is to
size and will fit over the valve seat guide assembly. Notice the chamfer for
Here you can see the plate in location where it will get welded...
In these next 3 photos you can see the plate welded to the valve seat guide
assembly. It took alot of wire and heat but the valve chest is coming along and
is starting to take shape now...
Now I put the valve chest back into the lathe and as you can see in the first
photo, started turning the end to size for the other mounting plate. The depth
is turned to position the plate in the proper location. In the second photo
the diameter is complete. The third photo shows a roughing pass that was taken
on the 3/4" thick head mounting plate to at least true up the diameter. The final
overall diameter will be turned after all the welding in completed...
A major event has taken place!
Heres the Story...
I went with a good friend to pick up a 10 HP engine he just bought. We arrived at
the place we had to pickup the engine at, and proceded to work away at dismanteling
it. I started talking with the owner and he asked me what I was working on. I told
him about the 10 HP single valve Bovaird & Seyfang I was restoring and all the parts
I was making for it. When I mentioned this he said he has a 10 HP single valve
Bovaird & Seyfang and he thinks he might have some spare parts. Now how can this be?
These are supposed to be rare engines. Well He did have some spare parts! You can see
all of them in these 4 photos. He said that when he bought his Bovaird there was a lot
of spare parts in the power house and the person he was buying the engine from said to
take them. I'm glad he did! We worked out a deal and the parts are now in Pavilion, NY
in my shop. Can you believe this! What a great day this was!...
Well with all the excitement from getting all the parts for the Bovaird I now
started working on some parts I didn't get. In these next 5 photos you can see
I started welding up the rocker arm support and pushrod guide that I had machined
up the pieces for earlier. Boy it was hard to keep my mind straight after
getting all these new parts...
Here you can see the gusset welded onto the rocker arm support and pushrod guide
assembly. I then set it up in the vertical mill to machine the angle on the gusset.
Now I need to do some more machining on it and bore the hole for the
Well I started cleaning up some of the governor plate and assembly. This is one
of the parts I just got for the engine and they seem to be in real nice shape. They
came out of a power house and show no signs of rust...
Here are the governor parts that latch the cam slide. Notice the good shape these
pins are in. I was going to have to make all these parts you are looking at
This is a photo of the main governor plate. It is almost all cleaned up and ready
for primer but I still need to clean up some threaded holes and the holes the pins
and main timing gear shaft go into...
In these 2 photos I have cleaned up the rest of the assembly and have things
assembled to try them out. Notice the governor in place too...
I have attached the guide for the cam follower on the governor plate assembly and also
you can see the latch pin goes through the plate and the guide. Notice the fancy grooves
to hold the oil for lubricating the slide...
Now I am going to start making the shaft for the 80 tooth timing gear. In the first
photo I am setting up a piece of material in the lathe, truing it up with the dial
indicator. In the second photo I am getting ready to center drill the shaft to
stabilze it when turning...
The shaft is all roughed out and a finish pass with some sanding is all that is
needed to finish this stage of making the shaft. Next I will turn the end down
and cut a 1-8 thread on it...
Here I am just making sure I measured right and am checking the fit of the shaft to
the hole it is going to ride in...
I put the timing gear shaft in my smaller lathe and am getting ready to turn
down the end and thread a 1-8 thread...
The weather has been very nice here in Western NY for the early part of March so
I decided to put the engine base on the trailer outside and do some wire-brushing
and cleaning. This is a dirty job so doing it outside helps keep all the dust
and grime off machines and tools in the shop..
After a lot of cleaning with the wire-brush and sanding, the base gets its
first coat of primer. Before applying the primer I wiped the entire base
down with mineral spirits. This gets the last remains of grease and dust
off the base...
Well with the primer almost dry I moved the base back into the shop where it will
stay warm. Putting a nice healthy coat of primer on the base will also keep it
from rusting after cleaning...