Also, Be sure to check out the
drawing and explanation for the Bovaird & Seyfang...
These first two photos were taken in December 1998 when I first saw the engine.
It wasn't until December of 1999 that I was able to aquire the engine...
After arriving to the area the engine was located we drove quite a long distance up
hill on a dirt road to this trail. We had to drive all the way to the top of the montain
because this trail came into the dirt road on an angle. It is hard to see in the
following photos how steep these hills really are...
Now we start up the hill towing the trailer behind the truck. Its a good thing we
brought the chain-saw with us because as you can see in the second photo here a tree
accross the trail. There were 3 we had to cut up and remove...
This photo is looking straight up the trail towards the power-house. It still is
not in sight...
The truck and trailer are now in position next to the power-house. What fun it was
backing the truck and trailer into this position...
This is how the engine looked before we started loading...
Now we have started winching the engine around towards the trailer. We actually had
to rotate the engine around 180 degrees to get it lined up with the trailer. If you
look close in these 4 photos you can see the cable from the winch coming from
various trees and points on the trailer...
The engine makes it onto the trailer safely and is all chained down for the rough
ride down the trail to the dirt road and then onto its new home in Pavilion,
Now we start the trip down the mountain trail. The truck is in 4 wheel drive and
first gear low range. We took our time missing the trees and making sure the crank
shaft on the engine didn't hook anything. We had to load the engine on an angle
because the crank shaft was so long and hung out the side of the trailer...
The 10 HP Bovaird & Seyfang at its new home, Pavilion, New York. In the second photo
the trailer is backed up to the shop for unloading...
This was the unloading process in these next 3 photos. I used the winch from the
trailer and attached it to a hook in the floor inside the shop to pull the engine
into the shop. You just have to take your time and watch for any little thing
that could go wrong...
These next five photos are of the engine once in the shop. I started putting some
penitrating oil on the bolts and nuts to get them soaking. Then I just sat there
looking at the engine and thinking of how I was going to attack everything...
Well I have started taking some of the parts off the engine. I am working on
the cylinder first because I want to get that to Joe Sykes for boring and also
the piston for metal spraying and new rings. In these 2 photos I have loosened the
head bolts and am ready to take off the make-shift head. In the second photo
notice the water running out as the head is removed...
The head is now off and what a mess. This is not the real head and valve chest.
The engine we think was used as a compressor to make casing head gas to run the
engine that was pumping the oil well. That would explain why every port or hole on the
cylinder was closed off and why the wood was added to the flywheel. Sometimes it
is hard to unravel these stories as the engines and power houses have sat dorment
for so long and it is hard to find the original owner or someone who worked the oil
In This photo you can see they added a round disk and packed in some kind of black
rubber like material into the combustion chamber. This might have been to
make a smaller combustion chamber and really
compress the air. At the site this engine was found at there also was a condensor
coil and tank used to store the casing head gas. I am told that casing head gas
is like gasoline but made from the natural gas coming from the oil well. Boy there
is so much to learn...
The next item to come off is a plate that covers where the ignitor would go. I have
only seen one Bovaird & Seyfang 4 cycle, single valve engine with an ignitor setup.
But the Bovaird & Seyfang drawings, which the
Coolspring Power Museum
have, show an ignitor or hot tube ignition. Notice in the second photo the black
rubber like material packed into the hole that leads right into the combustion
Now for removing the exhaust pipe elbow and flange. The nuts are off and it is
ready for removal. Note, the pipe plug in the elbow to seal off the exhaust port
to the cylinder. For this compressor to work there must have been some check valves
in the "T" fitting on the make-shift head...
This photo is of looking into the bore of the cylinder. You can see how far the dirt
went up into the cylinder. Also the pipe in the center is what was attached to the nipple
on the compressor head. It looks like they were trying to remove about 6" of the